Friday, July 5, 2013

Math in My World

My friend Mandy Robek (from Enjoy and Embrace Learning) invites us to think about math in our world. In her recent post, she talks about how we share reading and writing in our lives, but do we do the same for math? How often do we focus on real-life uses of math? I love how the possibilities are endless!

Here are a few examples that I found of #mathinmyworld!


Patterns, Fractions, 3D shapes



Geometry, Symmetry
(And I just came up with the question, How many triangles do you see?)



Symmetry, Measurement




Pairs :)

I'm going to keep this idea fresh in my mind so that I can use it with my 4th graders in the fall. I'd love to be able to have them put together some sort of collection of math they find in their world so that we could share it and have others add to it. Hmmm.... 

4 comments:

  1. I have to make sure to share my math life with students more! Have you seen the website 101qs.com? It has great math pictures for each day. It has made me think more broadly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Erika. I don't know that website but will check it out! I'm going to strive to share my math life more, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    I am so excited to see this post and love that you are seeing math in your world. It sure is fun looking for it. I also appreciate the shout out and highlighting my idea. You've found some really interesting photos to share with students. I love, love, love the question about how many triangles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this idea, Mandy! I don't consider myself much of a math person, so when I can find something that gets me excited about math, I like to go with it! :) I'd love to see how students would carry this out.

      Delete